Asylum claim filing & Hearing

ASYLUM & REFUGEE CLAIMS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     (INSIDE CANADA):

Foreign nationals can file Protection claim at Canadian port of entry (airports) when they enter Canada or inside Canada after their entry. Some foreign nationals also claim protection at both Regular and Irregular borders between USA and Canada.

Their claim at POE is compiled by CBSA officers and forward to IRB (Immigration and Refugees Board). IRB is an independent board that makes decisions on immigration and refugee matters.The IRB decides who is a Convention refugee or person in need of protection.

Convention refugees are outside their home country or the country they normally live in. They’re not able to return because of a well-founded fear of persecution based on

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Political opinion
  • Nationality
  • Being part of a social group, such as women or people of a particular sexual orientation

A person in need of protection is a person in Canada who can’t return to their home country safely. This is because, if they return, they may face:

  • Danger of torture
  • Risk to their life
  • Risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment

Your refugee claim may not be eligible to be referred to the IRB if:

  • You are recognized as a Convention refugee by another country that you can return to
  • You were granted protected person status in Canada
  • You arrived in Canada via the regular Canada-US border (exceptions apply)
  • You are not admissible to Canada on security grounds or because of criminal activity or human rights violations
  • You made a previous refugee claim that was not found eligible
  • You made a previous refugee claim that was rejected by the IRB
  • You abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim
  • You made a claim in some other country


  1. Applicants claim asylum either at the port of entry or inside Canada at an IRCC office (now online).
  2. If their claim is accepted, it is forwarded to IRB. Applicants get work/Study permit to work/study in Canada. They also get health coverage under Interim Federal Health program.
  3. Refugee Protection division of IRB sets a date of hearing the claim.
  4. Upon approval applicants can apply for Permanent Residence of Canada.
  5. In case of refusal, applicant can appeal the decision in Refugee Appeal division.
  6. If the application is refused from RAD, the next level is Federal court.
  7. If applicant’s claim is refused even from Federal court, their departure order is converted to deportation order.
  8. Applicants file PRRA (Pre-Removal Risk Assessment) before their departure as a last attempt to prove their claim.
  9. Applicants can also file application on Humanitarian & Compassionate grounds.


WHY CHOOSE Ahmad Junaid Salik as your Counsel for Refugee Claim:

  1. Authorized Immigration Consultant to represent client at IRB (Level 3 Consultant authorized for practice both at IRCC (For Immigration) and IRB (For Refugees and Appeals).
  2. 10 years experience as Licensed Canadian Immigration Consultant
  3. Over 20 years experience as International Immigration Consultant

How to Apply:

Please contact the licensed Immigration Consultant on or call +1 9053998620 to set up your consultation meeting and discuss your case.

Ahmad Junaid Salik- RCIC-IRB , Lic # R509291